Having back pain. Had hodgkins lymphoma. Having irregular periods. Help?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hello Doctor, i have been on here before a few times, i been having ruq pain since march, i did have tummy problems and i was connecting both pain and tummy together, i dont have gallbladder it was removed in 1986, i had hodgkins lymphoma in 2005 in remission since thankfully, since this pain started in march i have had chest x rays, heart ultrasound, colonoscopy and endoscopy, upper abdomen ultrasound showed "fatty liver /pancareas" but normal they said all other reported normal i also had blood tests done, no elvated liver etc in that so they normal, can a blood test detect cancer ??, my own doctor said when i asked if it might be ibs she said colonoscopy cant detect ibs i always thought it could, i also have been attending my original oncology dr just recently telling him of the ruq pain as i gave him copies of my other results as it was from a different hospital. To get back to the pain my onc is ordering an mri scan for july 3rd he says he thinks its muscular. The pain is there most days now, starting under right rib area, and around right side, eased only by half xanax of which i dont have many as doc says they are addictive,, also laying on my back eases it , i am not getting answers i know the mri is coming up but i still in pain till then and can only take panadol for pain. I am paranoid thinking it is cancer of sime type, my onc says the bloods show nothing sinister, the hodgkins i had was in my groin area, onc has examined most areas. Would u think its a muscular issue Doctor , i was told at 27 that i had spine of 50yr old woman, i am now 51 , could that be the cause if this? My onc is doing best he can i live 49miles from his hospital, my own doc doesnt seem to be much help, she seems to rush, in the area of pain are there ribs etc, do my ribs come round under my right breast area ? I am curious as i cant even do my chores with this niggling ache, like a toothache in my right rub and side area. I also have secondary left limb lymphodema due to hodgkins groin surgery, i am a mess :-D this pain makes me very snappy, i also use bio freeze
Any ideas as what you think i have Doctor? I know mri will answer probably, can mri of the back see my tummy, ovaries etc, i been having irregular periods too, i am convinced it could be connected to that too, i am clutching at straws for answers
I appreciate your help doctor
Thank you
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 11 hours later

I have gone through your history in detail. You have multisystem problems like old Hodgkins, spine problems, diabetes, cholecystectomy etc.

For your recent pain under /over right ribs
May I suggest the following.

1. This could very well be related to local muscle spasms. Any muscle relaxant+ analgesic will help

2. If it still persists, & ultrasound abdomen / chest is NORMAL. You should get your MRI dorsolumbar spine to rule out any neural cause.

3. If MRI is also normal, & your oncologist says there is no recurrence, you can try taking medications like amitryptylline+ chlordiazepoxide combination or analgesics with thiocolchicoside

4. If it persists, you can consult your gynecologist to rule out menopausal syndrome, which may be treated with hormone replacements

Hope this answers most of your queries.

dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon
Follow-up: Having back pain. Had hodgkins lymphoma. Having irregular periods. Help? 12 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX thanks for your reply, how far to the front are my ribs ? I feel tired from this ache, i take panadol for pain, but the only thing that works seem to be half xanax which i dont have many of anyway, when i sit it feels like its just under my right rib area, upper abdomen ultrasound showed fatty liver but nothing sinister according to report? When i have my mri what now will my oncologist be looking for ? He said if there was anything cancerous it would show up in my blood tests which appeared ok. Will they be able to see the front of my body / rib cage as well as the back with the mri ??
Thanks Dr
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 12 hours later
Dear ma’am,

Our ribs form a rib cage, which extends from anterior to posterior. So ribs are just underneath the skin & muscles.

MRI SPINE normally focuses on spine /vertebral column. Major part of paraspinal abdomen may be seen in this but not the whole abdomen.
Oncologist may ask CT ABDOMEN to rule out any abdominal lesion.