Having asthma and feeling breathless. Had spirimotry that was normal. Treatment?

Hi my mother died at 63 with coad and my brother 55 died earlier this year with ruptured bulla I have had asthma for 25years ex smoker I am 53 and becoming more breathless on exertion I can't manage my job at the moment ( midwife ) this morning I had a spirimotry that was normal fev1 79% and post 80% I am going to see my gp this afternoon should I ask him for a referral to a chest physician ? My mother and brother were told it was asthma for years !
Thank you
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello.Delighted to be able to help.
I recommend you go to a lung physician for various reasons: you're asthmatic, ex-smoker, have difficulty breathing,your FEV1 is in the limit (ideally over 80%) and have a family history of emphysema-bulla.There are two types of COPD: chronic bronchitis and emphysema-bulla.Chronic Bronchitis is related to smoke and emphysema-bulla is related to inherited genetic defect.Consequently you have risk factors for both pathologies and is necessary to be seen by a lung physician as soon as possible.After established the diagnosis, you will feel better with right treatment.
I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.
Follow-up: Having asthma and feeling breathless. Had spirimotry that was normal. Treatment? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks to you.At your disposal.Regards.