Having area of purplish and red veins in back of throat and sides of cheeks. What could be the cause?

Jul 2012

I have areas of purplish/red veins in the back of my throat and on the sides of my cheeks by my upper teeth? What is the cause of this?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I do hope as a dermatologist handling mucus membrane problems & having used methotrexate extensively over the years, I can be of some help & answer your queries.

Keeping in mind your history of ?RA & systemic symptoms, the purplish/red veins can fit into the mix. From your description, it seems to be a condition called 'telangiectasia' involving the finer capillary blood vessels in the region. It may well be related to your medical condition, Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Having said that, often these can be present as a 'normal' finding or spring up with severe cough that may cause a 'local rupture' of fine blood vessels.

Medications also may result in such lesions but trust your treating doctor will have done all the blood work while putting you on these medications as per due protocol.

Please do write back if you have more queries.

Regds & trust this answers your query & here's wishing you a speedy pain-free recovery.

Regds. Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD