Having anxiety, stomach pains, aching legs, night sweats. Had diarrhoea and high blood pressure. Reason for anxiety?

Dec 2014

Hi I have many financial problems and have had to leave the home my husband and I own in France so he can work here.We are both profeesional peopla aged 60.
While my husband is at work I just sit around our rented house with no interest in anything.

I feel anxious all the time and have constant stomach pains aching legs and suffer from diarrhea. I sleep
badly and have severe night sweats. I have been to my GP who has prescribed sleeping tablets but they do not
help. have high blood pressure for whic I take medication.
I was told I could see a counsellor , but not for 6 Months.
Should I ask my doctor for medication for depression to help me get back on track? I feel my anxiety is causing my symptons. I would like to do voluntary work but do not feel well enough,
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 28 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are a 60 year old female and there is no significant past history. You have been suffering from hypertension and high cholesterol levels. You have recently shifted from your own house in France to rented house away from home. Most of the times your husband remain out of them home. At home you are having problems of lack of interest in anything, feeling anxious, pains in multiple areas, altered bowel habits, night sweats and sleep dysfunction. You were advised to take sleeping pills but they didn't work.

See these are definitely the symptoms that should be ignored. You have anhedonia, multiple somatic complaints, anxiety, sweating, poor sleep etc symptoms. These symptoms are occurring most likely due to mild to moderate form of depression.

You are 60 and its post menopausal age. Females are very sensitive in this age. Due to changes in hormonal levels the symptoms are getting potentiated. Also moving away from home place to new place results in adjustment problems. All these are manifesting as Depressive symptoms.

Yes sleeping pills will not work. I would advise you to try relaxation methods to keep away anxiety symptoms.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercises, Breathing Exercises, Yoga, light exercises in evening, meditation etc help in relaxation and will also boost your confidence.

Try to spend your day in some constructive activity. The more you think about the problem the more it will get potentiated. Reading a good book, watching a nice motivating movie will work.

If problem persist even after relaxation methods then I would advise you to visit a Psychiatrist for opinion. Medicines like Duloxetine, Fluoxetine etc are very nice drugs with few side effects. They will not only relieve you of anxiety and depression but will also help in pain symptoms.

Hope it solves your query, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD