Having anxiety and strange vision. Everything looks sort of hazy or smokey for short while and this triggers anxiety. Help?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi I've had anxiety for long time and it's been extremely high lately, I've been researching lhon for my brother as he has it and it's made me more anxious as I have found out my son's and myself could be affected also.
Over the last few weeks I've been having strange vision where everything looks sort of hazy or smokey for a short while, this triggers big anxiety for me so I went and got my eyes and vision checked.. Fundus pic taken, pressure checked etc and got told all was well.. Now I am still getting the XXXXXXX vision.. Can this be down to anxiety? Or what do you think I should do.
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 53 minutes later

Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.
XXXXXXX vision may be a symptom of anxiety as possible ophthalmic causes have been ruled out.

You should consult psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.

Your doctor , after ruling out physical causes, may offer medication like anti anxiety agents - clonazepam or lorazepam or antidepressant agents with anti anxiety property like peroxetine.

Your doctor may advise you to consult psychotherapist/ counselor for counselling.

You may also get benefit by doing stress management and relaxation therapy like breathing exercise, yoga or meditation.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Having anxiety and strange vision. Everything looks sort of hazy or smokey for short while and this triggers anxiety. Help? 4 minutes later
Thanks I am on citalopram and about to up them, I am just really seeking reassurance this smokey vision is anxiety as it's new and as you can imagine scary

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 3 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

Smoky vision might be possible due to anxiety. So rest assured.

Citalopram is good anti depressant drug with anti anxiety property.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

If you do not have any query, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks.