Having anxiety. High WBC and neutrophils. Habit of smoking. Any thing serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
hi i went to the er had blood drawn wbc came back 12.1 and absolute neutrophils is 9.02 is that level bad i know it said on paper high. Doctor in er didnt even tell me could it be that level isnt of high concern? what do you suggest i have been having alot of anxiety lately and worry and have been smoking could those cause it to go up? i just need some input i am worried
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your absolute neutrophil is really higher than normal. Total leucocyte count is also higher than normal level.

This level of neutrophil count is indicative of some infective causes. Most probably it is a bacterial infection.

No, anxiety, smoking cannot lead to this condition. As you have type 2 diabetes mellitus, there is very high chance of infection.

First of all, your glycemic control should be tested. Do a HbA1C test to get glycemic control of last 3 months.

Secondly, if you do not have any symptom of infection, do a routine urine examination to rule out any possibility of take broad spectrum antibiotic to control the infection.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having anxiety. High WBC and neutrophils. Habit of smoking. Any thing serious? 10 minutes later
But i dont feel sick so i am confused to why you say bacterial infection?? Would the numbers be alot higher if there was a real concern like lukemia or something ?? Would the doctor of told me to follow up with my physician if the numbers where of real concern??? what would you reccomend at this point all the other levels where fine

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 22 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Sometimes, you may not feel any sickness, but, your blood report may show an infection. It is common in our clinical experience. In that case, we search for the point of infection.

In case, of leukemia, the total WBC count should be more than 50, and some atypical blast cells can also be noticed. So, there is very low chance of leukemia.

It would be better to keep following up with the treating doctor.

I have already recommended broad spectrum antibiotic. But, the decision is solely depends on your treating doctor.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.