Having anterior knee pain and large dent in quad. Is it affecting the knee? Treatment?

Apr 2014

I have had anterior knee pain for 2 years, and am being treated by a physio but improvement has been minimal. I have a large dent in my quad on the outside, about 12cm long from an impact with a snowboard. It's runs horizontally and is about 1cm wide and 1cm deep. Could this be affecting my knee and are there any treatments for this sort of thing?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need MRI of knee joint and L/S spine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

From history it is clear that you have nerve involvement in back (loss of sensation in buttocks suggests nerve involvement)and you also need proper evaluation of knee joint as impact was heavy.
First you need proper clinical evaluation and few investigations.
Investigations include X-ray of knee joint and L/S spine in AP/Lateral view to exclude bony fracture.
MRI of knee joint can detect ACL/PCL injury,meniscus injury and effusion in knee joint.
MRI of L/S spine can detect nerve involvement and status of inter vertebral disc.
Treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports.
Treatment options can be conservative or surgical depending upon severity.
So,you should contact orthopaedician immediately.

Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.
Get well soon.

Take Care