Having anal itching and nose and ear tingling. Feeling discomfort. What should be done?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi
For about one month now I have anal itching and nose and ear tingling. The nose and ear tingling is more pronounced at night. It is more of a discomfort and is annoying too.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 55 minutes later

Hi

Thanks for the query

The itching in the nose and the ears are due to allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is one of the common nasal conditions characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. Itching in the nose and the ears is because both the areas share the same innervations and any itch in the nose will also cause itching in the ear.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the Air conditioner.

You can try using steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone/momentasone) and an antihistaminic (fexofenadine/cetrizine) to reduce the itching and also drink plenty of warm water to keep the nasal mucosa moist.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Having anal itching and nose and ear tingling. Feeling discomfort. What should be done? 11 hours later
Thank you for the insight regarding a allergic reaction as an explanation for the itching in my nose and ears that I am having.
Is it linked to the anal itching or just coincidence? The itching is actually all over my face but more pronounced in the nose and ears.
Follow-up: Having anal itching and nose and ear tingling. Feeling discomfort. What should be done? 12 hours later
Hi Dr.
I am awaiting your reply to my follow question.
Kind Regards

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 39 minutes later

Hi

Thanks for writing back

I do not think so it is related to itching in the anus. The itching over the face could be related to the allergic rhinitis.

If there is generalized pruritus all over the body, then you will have to get few blood investigations such as complete blood count with differential, serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen values, serum alkaline phosphatase, bilirubin (direct and indirect) and thyroid function tests. All these tests are to rule out any problem with liver, bile duct or thyroid.

I will be available for the further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon