Ask a Dentist   »  

Having an open lesion on lower side of tongue. Hurts while bending tongue. Done with blood tests. Suggest remedy?

greetings Doc.

have had an open leision/sore/pimple on the left lower side of my tongue for the last 2 years, it comes and goes, 4-7 days of inflamation, with about a week up to 3 weeks before it come back, starts off mild then gets very sore, food and drink, salty foods or drinks, make it hurt. Just bending my tongue will make it hurt and ive now noticed a new very tiny one has started about an eighth of an inch to a quarter inch from the first, ive had 3 blood test from my general practitioner, with no red flags to speak of. from the results.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. David Okia 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection(herpes infection) of mouth

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for you query.

Based on your description and my past experience with similar complains from my patients ,you most likely have herpes infection of mouth. This infections keeps recurring every time your immune system becomes weak.
I usually recommend acyclovir tablets and good oral hygiene for my patients and they improve. I recommend the same for you.

If there is no improvement, then see dentist.

Hope I answered your question, if you have other queries will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Having an open lesion on lower side of tongue. Hurts while bending tongue. Done with blood tests. Suggest remedy? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Okia, by improvement do you mean that it will just lessen in intensity when it accurrs, or will it eventually go away? I thaink I've heard that herpes is forever?! Thank you again P.S. How long should the treatment take/days/weeks?
Answered by Dr. David Okia 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
one week during attack

Detailed Answer:
Good morning and thank you for the complement. I usually recommend tablets acyclovir 200mg five times a day for seven days immediately the lesion appears in the mouth. The acyclovir will clear the herpes infection(it will go away) and by improvement I mean you will never get such symptoms again. This is based on my experience with other patients with herpes.

The adverse effects of acyclovir tablets that you should know include nausea and vomiting.

Hope I answered your question. I will be happy to help you if you have other queries.