Ask a Dentist   »  

Having an infected abscessed tooth. What antibiotic should I take?

I have an abscessed tooth that I think is starting to become infected. Are there any over the counter antibiotics I can take? I have a new job and the Dental won't kick in for nearly a month yet
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic!
The rule number one in medicine is to control the source of infection.
If you are pretty sure that it is an infection then you need to see your dentist as soon as possible for proper cleaning and get the extent of damage if any.
Dentist would also tell the options of treatment after local examination.
About the medicines you have asked- they would be helpful only if the problem is not long standing and is in it's starting phase.
You can take amoxicillin+cloxacillin+metronidazole combination for 5days in observation of your clinician.
I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!