Having allergic reaction to insect bite. Eye swollen and reaction spread to back of scalp. Took Benadryl. Suggestions?

I believe I am having an allergic or overly sensitive reaction to an insect bite. My eye is quite swollen as is the area underneath my eye as well as the temple. The affected area extends into the back of my scalp. I first noticed this yesterday but it has definitely worsened overnight. The odd thing is, this first started on the opposite side of my head about a week ago. I can have an exaggerated reaction to mosquito or black fly bites.........hard, swollen, itcy area for several day. Have never had the reaction area "migrate around". I cannot see or feel a location for the actual bite but this is not unusual either. I did take 3 tps of liquid child strength Benadryl about 30 minutes ago. I cannot say there is any improvement since taking the med but it has not worsened. Any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take up to an hour for a response

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling can occur due to trauma, allergic response or infection.

Infection would normally be associated with additional symptoms such as fever, possible discharge from the eye, malaise or a general feeling of being unwell.

The adult dose of benadryl that you would need is 25mg to 50 mg. If the amount you took equates to this you should see a response by 1 hour.It may not resolve completely by this time but there should be some improvement.

If it does not equate to this amount , you need to take a little more.

If the area is also inflamed and itching you may want to use a topical steroid cream such as hydrocortisone to help dampen the response.

It is not likely related to the bite 1 week ago, this type of response normally occurs with an acute event. This means it would have to be related to something that occured within the last 24 to 48 hours.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions