Having allergic cold. Suffer runny and blocked nose. Giving tminic drops. Continue?

Feb 2013

Hi Doc,
my son is 9 months old. He is having allergic cold for last 1 week. his nose is runny, blocked during nights, coughing throughout the day. he is also bit cranky if that is due to the cold. i have been giving him tminic drops 1.5ml roughly 2 times a day. but it has already been a week. Can i continue to give timinc drops? how much quantity shud i give him and for how long?
he weighs 9.5kg. Long back his doc had given him Benadryl for allergy. Can i give him benadryl for the allergy like the runy nose or the sneezing? else can you please suggest.

Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue, 0.5mL, 2 to 3 days, Benadryl not needed.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for contacting me on Healthcare Magic.

Tmnic contains oral antihistamine and it is suggested in a dose of 0.5ml per dose to a 9 months old child with 9.5Kg weight. And this dose can be given every 8th or 6th hourly depending on the child symptoms.

Excess dose will cause a little bit of sedation and drowsiness.

You can continue Tmnic drops as suggested for another 2 to 3 days.

Benadryl also contains oral antihistamine only with a similar action of Tmnic.

Crankiness may be due to runny nose and nose block. You can put saline nasal drops one drop into each nostril whenever there is nose block, especially before feeding and sleeping.

Coughing also requires medication such as oral ambroxol drops in prescribed dose.

As the child is coughing throughout the day, his lungs has to be examined for any abnormal sounds. Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for follow up for physical examination including lungs and for prescription of cough drops.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.