Having alcoholic liver disease three small gall stones. Diabetic and hypertension. Having high gamma gt level. Treatment?

Hi, I have high gamma gt level (345) but have not had any alcohol for over 12 months. I have alcoholic liver desease and 3 small gall stones. I am type 2 diabetic but control it by diet not medication. I also have moderate hypertension 155/71 typ. I take no prescribed medication but occasionally take paracetamol for back pain. My blood is checked monthly and my liver fuction tests are all o.k. except the gamma gt. My doctor can't explain it!
What could be causing it?
ps I am 58 years old
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Elevation of GGT can be multifactorial in you

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Elevation in gamma gt levels may be due to many cause apart from recent intake of alcohol like hypertension, chronic liver disease, cardiovascular disease, drug induced like NSAID (Paracetamol), metabolic syndrome (obesity, Hypertension, DM and dyslipidemia) and Diabetes alone. So in your case it can be multifactorial. So if you are not taking alcohol it can be due to other causes I mentioned above. So what you have to do is control your blood pressure, Diabetes, see for any cardiovascular disease since you are hypertensive and diabetic also, avoid paracetamal instead take analgesic like tramadol which are non NSAID and non opioid analgesic, if obese then reduce your weight, check the extent of alcohol liver disease (ALD) as ALD is spectrum of disease like fatty liver, alcohol hepatitis, cirrhosis, check your lipid profile also and treat them accordingly

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.