Having after started to school. Recovered from viral infection. Why would she blink her one eye alone?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My daughter is 3yr old. She started going to school for past 3 months. Since then she is having many fever episodes(about 4) and now she just recovered from viral infection a week back. She talks very well and can communicate mostly everything.

About her issue, we are observing that for last few weeks she blinks her left eye slowly and blinks it alone. This happens some times only and she blinks both eyes properly other times. I have not shown to any doctor for this observation and I am not sure If she will do that in front of doctor. Why would she blink her one eye alone?

Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Twitching of one eye is very common called as myokymia. It is a self limiting co dition which usually doesn't cause any harm and disappears on few days
Though there are a number of causes, in your kids case I can propose some causes.
1) Anti histamines which your kid would have been given for fevers and viral infection.
2) Tiredness and stress due to recent illness.
3) vision issue.
4) allergies causing dry eyes .
If its one of the first two , it should go away in few days time as she recovers.
Last two possibilities need evaluationby ophthalmologist especially if the twitching persisits longer.
Hope I answered your query.
Wishing your kid speedy recovery
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Having after started to school. Recovered from viral infection. Why would she blink her one eye alone? 34 minutes later
Thanks for you detailed answer. Could you please explain Anti histamines?. She was given ibugesic and crocin during fever episodes.
Answered by Dr. Arun 10 hours later
Anti histamines are usually given for cold and viral Infections. Crocin and ibugesic do not contain anti histamines. Check if you had given anything else in the past few months .
Do not worry I do think that twitching should disappear soon.
Dr Arun