Having acute pain on hip. Also getting pain on leg. Could I ask a doctor?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello ,
Am having a acute pain on my hip (jus above the left butt) for quiet sometime now. I think due to that am getting pain on my left leg. Sometimes the pain is more . what could it be , should i check with some specialist.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be sciatica

Detailed Answer:

After going through the entire description, I am of the opinion that the cause for
your pain could be sciatica.

Although the pain associated with sciatica can be severe, most cases resolve with just conservative treatments in a few weeks.

MRI is needed to establish the cause of sciatica, so that appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Sciatica do respond well to bed rest and analgesics (pain killer) and is right mode of treatment.

The definitive treatment depends upon the cause of sciatica. I would suggest you to consult an orthopediac surgeon who may order MRI to determine cause of sciatica and may suggest other mode of treatment. After initial few days of bed rest, you may need physiotherapy (exercises).

Thanks for consulting me.
Hope I had been able to address your concerns.
Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Wish you good health.