Having acute eye ache and redness in eye. Suggest

Ophthalmologist
Question
I get acute eye ache just behind the eye balls , it happens when i havent slept for atleast 8 hours at a stretch or have skipped some meals or i am stressed physically or mentally , at times the nerves around the outer side of eyes seems bit reddend . I dont have spectacles , also my eye pressure is on the higher side. Please suggest what might be issue
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Glaucoma needs to be ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having eye ache behind the eye balls on physical or mental stress, lack of sleep.... sometimes associated with redness of the eyes. All these symptoms are known to occur normally in all because of physical or mental stress, lack of sleep... But since you have mentioned that eye pressure is on higher side, all these symptoms becomes very much significant. Increase in high pressure is associated with a eye disease called as Glaucoma. Increase in eye pressure secondary to physical or mental stress is known to occur in a type of glaucoma called as narrow angle glaucoma or angle closure glaucoma. Here a typical patient will experience intermittent attacks of eye pain, redness sometimes associated with blurring of vision and colored halos around light bulbs. These attacks are usually precipitated by physical or mental stress. Since you are having first two symptoms, eye pain and redness of eyes you need to be evaluated to rule out glaucoma. Hence I advice you to consult eye doctor at the earliest for examination and few simple tests like measurement of pressure in the eyes, examination of the optic disc.... to rule out glaucoma or to treat glaucoma if it is there. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you.

Follow-up: Having acute eye ache and redness in eye. Suggest 11 minutes later
Thanks for your input. I dont have redness of eyes but when my eye pain i can see nerves with red color on the skin just outside the eye , near what we call crow feet

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Crow feet may not be related to eye ache. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic Thank you for the follow up query. As you have mentioned the appearance of crow feet around the eyes, Crow feet is actually wrinkling of the skin around the eyelids because of loss of elasticity of the skin of the eyelids. When the skin becomes thinned out the vessels become visible giving the appearance of red lines around the eyes. This is commonly seen in old age and this can also be seen in young and middle age. This can appear prominent and appear during conditions of stress. This seems to be not related to your problems of eye ache and higher eye pressure. Hence do consult eye specialist for evaluation to rule out glaucoma as this needs to be done early on priority. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: Having acute eye ache and redness in eye. Suggest 6 minutes later
Thanks you very much . One of the doctors hinted that i may have migraine and she said it triggers when i am stressed or dont follow a regime and hence i wanted a second opinion , she had prescined rizact 10 saying i should take it whenever it pains but i wanted some permanent solution to this ache. I would under go glaucoma tests as mentioned by you

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will consider Migraine as differential diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic Thank you for the follow up query. Migraine can be considered as differential diagnosis or alternative diagnosis. Migraine presents in a similar way with headache associated with nausea, vomiting, symptoms related to vision like colored halos, flickering of lights. Rizact, is Rizatriptan used for treatment of acute episodes of migraine. For permanent solution you have to take prophylactic treatment in the form of beta blockers or flunarizine for atleast 6 months under supervision of your doctor. But since you have mentioned about eye pressure my first diagnosis will be to rule out glaucoma. If the tests come out to be negative then you can take treatment for migraine. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you

Follow-up: Having acute eye ache and redness in eye. Suggest 9 minutes later
Thank you doctor

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Thank you Detailed Answer: Thank you and you are most welcome.