Having acne and sinus infection. Taking Doxycycline and Clarithromycin. Drug interactions?

Doxycycline for acne - interactions with other antibiotics :

My dermatologist put me on a course of Bymycin (doxycycline) for my acne. It is working very well, I am clear for 90% of the time.
However, I currently have a sinus infection and my family doctor has given me a course of Clarithromycin. I forgot to tell her that I am taking Bymycin for my acne.

I really do not want to stop taking the Bymycin (doxy) because it will risk a breakout of acne.

Can I take both antibiotics at the same time or is it dangerous?

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 9 hours later
Doxycycline belongs to tetracycline group of antibiotics and it is mild and good for acne
Clarithromycin belongs to macrolide group and it is more powerful for acne. You need not take both at the same time as both are effective for acne
However, if you are comfortable with doxycycline, you may stop for a while and take clarithromycin. Once you stop the clarithromycin, you may go back to doxycycline as this is more safer on a long term basis for acne as you need to take treatment for acne for atleast six months.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.