Having acidity, chest tightness, pain in chest and back. On neksium 40mg. What to do?

Hi Doctor
I have been having acidity, chest tightness, pain in parts of the chest and back, burping for the past 3 weeks. I have had 2 ECGs to rule out any heart problems. I had Pantocid L for 10 days and felt much better - but the problem recurred after the medications were over. Now the doctor has put me on Neksium 40mg and Cintapro.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 7 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Acidity and burping is often due to what is known as Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Sometimes the reflux of the acid from the stomach goes to your food pipe which causes these symptoms.

Taking Pantocid- L for 10 days is not enough. You need to continue the medications for alteast 8 weeks for a complete response. Since you have been started now on Neksium and Cintapro .. I suggest you continue Nekisum for atleast 2 months. If the symptoms are not relived with once a day dose then you can take neksium twice a day for 2 months. Remember you need to take it for a longer period of time for complete therapeutic effect. A short course is helpful for only a short time.

Hope this has been helpful.

Dr. Om Lakhani