Having ache in hip, thigh, abdomen and going down to leg. Burping relieves. Suggest?

May 2014

Ache in hip thigh and lower side of abdomen pain can emanate down leg get this pain often comes randomly burping relieves but comes straight back have had ache most of my life I am 49 walking does not help but better than laying or sitting this ache can last hours or weeks
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
From what you have said, the pain is originating at your right hip and lower abdomen and going down the leg. This problem is for more than 30 years and burping relieves it. Pain is lasting weeks and recently worsening. Besides you get discomfort while lying and sitting and walking does not help.

With the above information, the pain could be from bone and muscular causes, vascular causes, nerve related causes.
I am ruling out causes in the urinary or gastrointestinal systems because it is going down the leg.
Coming to vascular causes, you do not have much discomfort while walking but the discomfort is more when lying down or sitting.Your smoking history is unclear. However you have not menntioned any skin discoloration or ulcers. Hence vasvular cause is less likely.
Talking about bones and muscles, though the pain starts in the right hip, there is not much bony pain that you complain of.

We are now left with the nerve related pains. Nerves originate in the lower back and pass through the pelvis and supply the legs. It is possible for a nerve root to get compressed near its origin as it passes through holes in the spine and travels down. Your kind of pain can be explained by this. However the decrease in pain while burping is not entirely explainable.

May I suggest you to please consult an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon and get yourself examined. They may decide to get x XXXXXXX of your lower back and subsequently a MRI scan of lumbar spine.
If nothing is found wrong with your lumbar spine, then a consultation with a surgeon can be considered

Further questions, any old report findings welcome.
Hope this helps.

Dr Vivek