Having abdominal pain with inguinal hernia. Noticed white bubbles in his stool. Required treatment?

My boyfriend has an iguinal hernia which enlarged and moved into the scrotum, but is recessed now.
He has had abdominal spasms that are very debilitating since Tuesday 7 pm The pain is upper abdominal at the line of the diaphragm He can pass gas and has had a small bowel movement Before the attack, he had been constipated on the weekend, but had one large well formed bowel movement and one very loose bowel movement and he noticed white bubbles in his stool The spasm set in after that 2nd bowel movement and was an 8 on Tuesday 9 pm and has never ceased and is a 3 right now
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

With the degree of symptoms that he is having right now I recommend that you have him evaluated immediately by a reason I would like this to be done as soon as possible is that on occasion there can be emergency conditions in the setting of hernias which can cause major problems if they are not addressed immediately.

The fact that he is having fluctuating problems with constipation and bowel movements is also concerning.

Again I would recommend that you take him for evaluation tool emergency department or urgent care center for a comprehensive evaluation. It might be necessary to perform some imaging studies to make sure there is no evidence of strangulation of the bowel. If there is evidence of strangulation of the bowel this would be a surgical emergency.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert