Having abdominal pain, slight diarrhoea and constipation. What is the problem?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am 50yrs old traveling in a foreign country. I had severe left side abdominal pain the night before last night. Felt like I couldn't pass gas. I had slight diarrhea before sleeping but could not go anymore during the pain. Went to urgent care. To avoid the cost of CT scan, I opted for a painkiller drip for a few hours at the hospital. The doctor prescribed 2g of secnidazol one time and 5g of ciproflaxine hydrochloride twice a day for 5 days. The pain was gone in a few hours with the drip. I started taking the medication. After full and comfortable use of the bathroom several times that day, I felt much better and slept very well last night. I am still on ciproflaxine tonight. It is 3am and I make frequent visits to the bathroom but just trickles. Same as the night I had pain. Likewise, I can't pass gas. Likewise, I feel somewhat bloated. I feel soreness in the same left abdomen but just that. I can go to sleep had it not been for my want to urinate but can't. I somehow feel this is related to something that started as an anal fissure (light red blood on toilet paper) 10 years ago to internal bleeding (more light red blood on toilet paper) a couple of years ago (also itching and mucus in the anus area) and the feeling of being bloated with stretched stomach a year ago. No blood of any kind in the stool. However, I alternate between diarrhea and constipation i.e., I apply pressure to excrete. I plan to do colonoscopy next week. Is this a recurrence of an infection from the night before last night or symptoms of something else? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The pain and loose motions signify infection. The ER docs have rightly prescribed specific antibiotics. It usually takes some time for the infection to come under control. However once the infection comes under control in vew of history of alternating diarrhoea with constipation it would be advisable to undergo an elaborate study by way of colonoscopy in order to rule out two major diseases namely inflammatory bowel disease and malignancy.
The anal fissure issue which you have mentioned may have been precipitated by the frequency of loose motions leading to soreness in that area. But since the stools are not mixed with blood you do not have to worry.
Continue the oral form of the antibiotics for at least 7 days. that will ensure adequate control of infection.
I hope this answers your doubt.
Please write in if you have any other querry.
With regards