Having abdominal pain, nausea and watery diarrhea. Suggest

General Surgeon
i have been having very bad upper abdominal stomach pain after meals for over a week now, also comes with nasea, and very watery diarrhea, light brown color. it seems to be getting worse, my doctor put me on medicine to stop stomach acid, and also to coat stomach for ulcers to heal, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. also last few days my rectum has been itchy after passing diarrhea. also I entered the wrong email it is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms can be caused by stomach infection, peptic ulcers, gallstones or pancreas inflammation.
Diarrhea is very characteristic for stomach infection. Most common reasons are bacteria or viruses. Fever can be also present. Blood or mucus in the stool can appear.

Peptic ulcers usually cause upper middle abdominal pain and nausea, however diarrhea is not characteristic for this condition. With peptic ulcers, the pain appears 1-2 hours after a meal.

Gallstones and pancreas inflammation gives upper right abdominal pain which usually radiates to the back. Such pain can be triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol. Diarrhea can be sometimes present with this conditions.

Rectum itching after diarrhea is most likely caused by irritation of this region.

As every diarrhea which lasts longer than 48 hours should be checked with stool tests and stool culture test, I suggest you to visit your doctor again. Antibiotics might be necessary. You should also have abdominal ultrasound. Gastroscopy should be considered.

In a meanwhile drink plenty of liquids. Try BRAT diet (banana, rice, XXXXXXX sauce and toast) for few days and avoid other foods.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, nausea and watery diarrhea. Suggest 1 hour later
ok thank you for the information. I will call my doctor tomorrow. I have tried some toast today at noon and I have been suffering very bad naseau, water diarrhea, and pain, also hurt if I push slightly under the right ribcage, pain withouth pushing anywhere seems to be in the middle above belly button. the only things that doesn't bother me are Gatorade, XXXXXXX mist, water, clear liquids, ANY foods cause the symptoms for hours.
also there is lots and lots of gurgling coming from my stomach. like tons of air.
also forgot to tell you my diarrhea has become very foul smelled, it smells very very bad.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Try to avoid any foods until you will visit your doctor. Liquids are the most important. Gatorade is fine, it hydrates very well.

Gurgling in the abdomen is due to accelerated bowel movements. This is quite characteristic for stomach infection and so is bad smelling diarrhea. So it seems like stomach infection is the most probable reason. In your case, antibiotics might be necessary. Unfortunately most of helpful medicines are prescription only.

Hope this will help.

Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, nausea and watery diarrhea. Suggest 12 minutes later
i had some similar problems that started in December and went off and on until march, started with lower abdominal diarrhea and fever. I ended up starting 2 antibiotics levaquin, and flagyl. they would help tremendously, but once I would finish the medicines it would come back, I took 4 or 5 full doeses, finally had a colonoscopy and they found nothing. BUT after the prep for the colonoscopy I had no more issues until now. not sure if the prep washed something out or what. but this time its more upper before it was lower like below the belly button.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later

Stool test is essential here. It is important because it will allow to determine which bacteria is causing the infection and what is the best antibiotic to treat it.

You may ask your doctor about Rifaximine antibiotic, which is a great antibiotic for such infections.

If the stool tests wont reveal any infection, and this is another episode of such diarrhea, it might be necessary to check small intestine. Sometimes partial bowels obstruction can give chronic diarrhea. In such case, abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be done.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, nausea and watery diarrhea. Suggest 48 hours later
I have not been able to make it to the doctor yet, hopefully I can make it in tomorrow. today my diarrhea seemed to ease up. some chicken noodle soup and crackers for lunch that didn't bother me any, but then I felt brave and grabbed a protein bar at 3 p.m. and about 5 p.m. the nasea, stomach pain which seemed very deep felt like my back was hurting, and felt shaky, slight chills. the diarrhea came back after eating this. this went on for 3 hours. I am just wondering if there is a possibility that it could be a gallbladder problem? or does it definitely sound like a stomach infection?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
On one side upper abdominal pain and nausea are very characteristic for gallbladder issues. On the other side, diarrhea is not characteristic for gallbladder issues and more common with an infection. That is why, in your case I can not rule out neither of this diseases.

So yes, gallstones are possible and can be causing your symptoms. Especially that back pain also appeared (upper abdominal pain and back pain are very characteristic for gallstones). Stomach infection is always possible.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, nausea and watery diarrhea. Suggest 38 minutes later
not sure if this matter or not, but lately I have notice after I get out of the shower, after I scrubbed my arm pits thye still smell like body over, sometimes even after I put on deodorant?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 hours later

Such symptom can appear due to increased sweat production. Our body uses sweat to decrease the temperature and to get rid of some toxins. So it can be caused by an infection or inflammation in the abdominal area. You may also check your body temperature if there is no fever.

Hope you will get to the doctor tomorrow as you should not wait anymore.