Having abdominal pain in right side. What could be the reason?

Hi I woke up last night with pain in my right side, it was so intense I felt like I should sit up. I did but the sweating and pain was quite bad I also felt very weak like I needed to lay down and was also very thirsty. It resolved after about 30 minutes, i felt very weak but the pain settled. What could this have been? I was up today and all day I still feel a bit weak but not as bad as last night and I'm very tired.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

What you are suffering from could be post cholescystectomy syndrome. In this, there’s persistent pain and associated nausea/vomiting. This occurs primarily due to either the adhesions which are formed in the area of the surgery or due to the dysfunction of the sphincter of oddi. Since the reservoir of the bile i.e. gall bladder has been surgically removed, it results in a continuous flow of the bile into the intestine resulting in gastritis & esophagitis.

Secondly it can be due to kidney causes as well. I suggest you to consult a physician and get an ultrasound abdomen, CT KUB (kidneys, urinary bladder) and serum lipase and serum amylase done. Till that time, you can apply warm compresses on the area and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor. Also drink plenty of fluids as if it due to kidney causes, drinking fluids will help in decreasing the severity of symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.