Having abdominal pain, diarrhea and gas after drinking tea. How to overcome this problem?

Jan 2013

I drank senna tea and let it steep too long. I'm having waves of abdominal cramps and wondering how to relieve them. I'm also having a little diarrhea and gas. Would an enema help to clean the senna out? Drinking lots of water to dilute the tea? It's painful.... I've been online, and other people who have experienced the same said that they could last for hours....
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 41 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of senna induced
gastric disturbances but possibility of gastroenteritis should be kept in mind.
Presence of diarrhea, gas and abdominal cramps suggests the diagnosis.

Enema given per rectally acts only in sigmoid colon, rectum and anus and won't help in relieving your symptoms.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging studies and x XXXXXXX abdomen.

You should take plenty of water, lying in prone posture, and take bed rest.
You should also take dulcolax suppository along with Isapgula and lactitol combination for getting quick relief.
It will take time (5-6 hours) for recovery of your symptoms.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, diarrhea and gas after drinking tea. How to overcome this problem? 8 minutes later
I don't have suppositories, but I do have anti-diarrheal gel capsules and immodium. (sp). But the diarrhea's not the problem. The painful cramps are....
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 16 minutes later
You should take suppository from a medical centre on written prescription of a local doctor.
Kindly don't take immodium.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava