Having abdominal pain and bloating with bleeding after periods. Reason?

I have abdominal pain and bloating on the left side and jelly like blood clots 2 weeks after my period every time I go to the washroom when I wipe there is this jelly blood very dark? What could this be?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later

Just to be sure if I got you right; two weeks following your menses you develop abdominal pains and bloating on the left side and persistent per vaginal bleeding in dark clots.

Well, per vaginal bleeding is a serious symptom because the underlying cause or complication from blood loss and or super infection of the blood could be potentially very severe and lethal.

Being very practical, the first thing to do is to rule out any cause that could be linked with pregnancy. If you have had non-protected intercourse it will be necessary to first do a pregnancy test, as pregnancy complications could account for what you are presenting and it is the most severe on the list.

Secondly, it could be due to infections. It is common to have super infection of menstrual blood following menses especially with females with pelvic inflammatory diseases.
Thirdly, it could be due to a cervical or vaginal abnormalities such as abnormally growing cells, tumors etc.

You need to do the following;

-Do a pregnancy test; if positive XXXXXXX your doctor for an ultrasound to asses position of pregnancy and viability (if pregnancy test positive, possible causes could be: left ectopic pregnancy and incomplete abortion)

-If pregnancy test is negative, XXXXXXX your doctor for detail examination including a speculum examination of the cervix and vaginal wall and for cervical motion test. Also for ultrasound of the pelvis to check for fluid in the XXXXXXX pouch and tubes and to also check for fibroids. (if test is negative, possible causes could be: Pelvic inflammatory disease, fibroid, vaginitis and cervical cell abnormalities).

Hope I have answered your query. If you do have any clarifications or queries, i will be ready to help.

Best regards and hope this helps you.