Having abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed hypoechoic lesion. Chances of hemangioma?

Infertility Specialist
I had ultrasounds in 2009 and 2011 for my liver after having abdominal pain. The abdominal pain wasn't seen as attributed liver. Here are my most current results. I am going to get a CT scan, but was concerned about the fact that one lesion was hypoechoic as I understand these are more often cancerous. Also, is common to have more than one hemangioma?

Here are my results:

No significant change in
echogenic subcentimeter hepatic lesion, probable hemangioma.
Stable subcentimeter right hepatic cyst. No significant change in
echogenic left hepatic lesion measuring approximately 1 cm in
diameter, probable hemangioma. 1.4 cm relatively echogenic lesion
at inferior right hepatic lobe that is probably not significantly
changed in size given differences in sampling, though appears
slightly more echogenic. Other previously described hypoechoic
lesion in right hepatic lobe is more difficult to visualize, also
possibly slightly more hyperechoic and may represent poorly
discriminated approximately 1 cm lesion similar in location. Two
approximately 4-6 mm echogenic lesions noted adjacent to
gallbladder fossa within hepatic parenchyma, non specific but
probably also hemangiomas. In the lateral aspect of the left
hepatic lobe an additional possibly new echogenic hepatic lesion
is seen measuring up to 9 mm in diameter. Normal hepatopetal portal venous flow.
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 2 hours later

I understand you are concerned about the lesion found on ultrasound. Let me provide you with some useful information to allay your fears.

Well, hemangiomas are completely benign lesions of the liver and these are not cancers. However a cancer on ultrasound scan may look hyperechoic or hypoechpic or more commonly mixed echogenicity basing on the contents. Besides that cancer lesions are different shape and sizes - they change rapidly. Therefore do not worry; I am sure you have got hemangiomas and these can be multiple.

In simple words, echogenecity is not the only factor to decide the presence of a cancer. So don't worry. Please have yearly follow up as these are incidentally discovered.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Good luck,