Having abdominal pain. Got history of back pain and hysterectomy. What is reason for the pain?

Dec 2012

I have a history of low back pain which also radiates down my right leg. The pain is always there, but usually is felt more in my hip and leg. I also had a knee menisectomy on my right knee about a month ago which is still causing pain. One more bit of medical history is that I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago, but still have both ovaries. I do get frequent ovarian cysts, but they have always gone away. I have had pretty bad right side abdominal pain which wraps around my side to the lower right side of my back since Tuesday morning. Today the pain is now mild in the abdomen, but still pretty bad in the lower back. My general practitioner is on sick leave and am looking for an opinion about what could be causing the pain. I don't know if it could be another ovarian cyst causing the pain, or if my low back is just hurting more than usual. I am used to feeling the hip/leg pain, but have not had this much pain in my actual back in a while. I'm feeling a little lost and don't know which doctor I should call.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several suggestions

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description, I must say there are several possible culprits as regarding the origin of your abdominal pain. The most likely causes:
- Ovarian cysts: with your history of recurrent painful ovarian cyst it is likely the culprit. You will need to see a gynecologist who can examine you and run a pelvic scan
- Urinary tract infection: With the symptoms you have described, it is another possible culprit which will need laboratory tests including urine analysis. You can see an internist or a GP or urologist
- Acute PID: Given that you are a female, it is another common cause of lower abdominal pain with radiation to the back. You will need to be screen for certain STDs, a vaginal smear, blood tests and a pelvic scan. You will need to see a gynecologist for review.
- Irritable bowel diseases: It is another possible cause and a gastroenterologist will be able to help.
- Less unlikely is radiating lower back pain unless of course it is coming from a kidney diseases such as infection or stone.

My suggestion is that you call a gynecologist who can first take a look at your problems (most of them can treated by one), then conclude on which one is actually the culprit.

Hope this will be able to help and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah