Having abdominal pain. CT scan showed dilation of pelvcalyceal system and ureter. What is causing this?

General Surgeon
I have just had a ct scan - dilation of pelvcalyceal system and ureter. Can you please explain possible cause of this. I have had pain in my abdomen - this pain comes and goes and is intense.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Dilatation of pelvcalyceal system and ureter means that the path for the urine from kidney to urinary bladder is for some reason blocked so the urine cannot flow freely. Such CT image is very characteristic for urinary tract stones. And this also explains your symptoms. Kidney stones brings sudden strong pains usually on the one side of lower back, radiating downward to the groin. This pain can come and go.
Moreover, according to your ureter reimplantation surgery history, you have more chance of urine stones and/or your symptoms may be caused only by this reimplatation. After such surgery there is a chance that in the place of ureter and bladder connection the scar tissue will cause narrowing or even blockage.
It is advisable for you to visit urologist as ureter blockage can result with kidney failure and atrophy. Urologist may decide to put thin catheter to make urine flow freely. You should also be prescribed with some myorelaxants drugs.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.