Having abdominal pain. Before and after lunch pain is severe. Suggest specialized doctor?

General Surgeon
For the past few days ( Over a month ) I am feeling a deep pain on right lower abdominal pain. PositionallyIt is exactly in stomach above right thigh.
Before and after lunch i can feel it is severe and after few days it goes away.
Today it came again.
Could you please suggest me what specialized doctor I need to vist ( Ex:- Gastrp/Kidney specialist ) or a just physician is enough.
I am asking this question because I am in USA an getting an appointment is a night mare and takes months to get appointments.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Such localized pain can be caused by several conditions and depending which is the most probable, such specialist should be visited.

Your symptoms can be caused by inguinal hernia, ovarian cyst, pregnancy, like Crohns disease).

Inguinal hernia usually gives a lump in the groin. Can appear after lifting heavy objects or coughing. Also coughing and lifting can aggravate the pain.

Ovarian cyst or pregnancy can give pain only. Some strange bleeding or lack of menses can be present.

Urinary tract infection or stones give lower abdominal pain, back pain. It can also radiate to the groin. Frequent urinating (like few times during the night) and burning while urinating can be present. Blood in the urine can be noticeable.

Inflammatory bowels disease can give stool problems (constipation, diarrhea, blood in stool), bloating, nausea, weight loss, weakness.

Now depending which is the most probable you should visit:
- general surgeon for a hernia
- gynecologist for ovarian cyst or pregnancy
- urologist for urinary tract problems
- gastroenterologist for inflammatory bowels disease

If you are not sure which diagnose is the most probable, general physician is the one who should decide what it can be and which specialist should be visited.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.