Having abdominal and pelvic pain. Found cyst in ovary. Is this normal?

Question
I was recently seen in ER as I've had abdominal/pelvic pain. They determined no diverticulitis, noappendecitis, however they found a simple cyst 3cm. The ER Dr. referred me to ObGyn as my right ovary has a volume of 27ml and my left only 3.65. Is this normal? I am a 34 year old female, currently have no children.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
I have two questions for you first:
1. Did they do a pregnancy test?
2. Was your pain on the same side as the cyst?

Please let me know!

Follow-up: Having abdominal and pelvic pain. Found cyst in ovary. Is this normal? 1 minute later
Yes they did, no I'm not pregnant

Yes, pain is on same side

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
So to summarize, you are a 34 year with no prior pregnancies, and a negative pregnancy test, who went to the ER for pelvic pain (that I will assume was acutely worsening). Their evaluation included imaging where there was found to be no other explanation for the pain except for a simple appearing 3cm ovarian cyst on the side of the pain.

This is actually a common cause of pain, and not an uncommon reason for a visit to the ER for a young woman. The size of the cyst and it being described as simple is not concerning. Every month, you form cysts. Mid-cycle, there is one cyst that becomes 'dominant' quickly. This is the cyst that produces / releases an egg. I am going to make a guess that you were mid to late in your cycle. It is also not uncommon for this cyst to produce a significant amount of pain.

The usual followup would be observation, and repeating an ultrasound in about 6-8 weeks. My guess is that the pain is going to get better as the cyst goes away. Other causes of acute pelvic pain were ruled out: appendicitis, etc.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Follow-up: Having abdominal and pelvic pain. Found cyst in ovary. Is this normal? 24 hours later
I understand the cyst is normal size. My question refers to the ovarian volume. Is 27 ml/cc within normal range?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 minutes later
That ovarian volume is completely normal. In fact, the 'volume' of the ovary on ultrasound has no clinical value whatsoever. The presence of cysts or abnormal cysts is what we are looking for.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.