Having a sore near anus with mucus and blood discharge. Is this fistula?

General Surgeon
Question
I have had a sore for a while near my anus about 2 inches to the right. It flares and calms as well as discharges a mucus or blood when flared. Is this a fistula? I have noticed that stress flares this condition but unsure if that's accurate.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fistula seems most probable. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, this might be a fistula. This condition is a kind of wound in the anus. It appears due to constipation, hard stool and pushing on stool. The main symptom of fistula is strong pain while passing the stool. Bright red blood on the stool and on the toilet paper can also appear. However your symptoms can be also caused by hemorrhoids. Fistula needs to be diagnosed by rectal examination. In case of doubts rectoscopy should be done. Fistula treatment depends if it is acute fistula or chronic fistula (lasts longer than 6 weeks). Acute fistula can be healed with: - sitz baths with Oak Bark - fiber rich diet and stools softeners - hialuronic acid suppositories Chronic fistula can be treated with surgery. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: Having a sore near anus with mucus and blood discharge. Is this fistula? 7 minutes later
Ok, so I was checked for STDs a while back but just to clarify this doesn't sound like herpes? I rarely have blood in my stool however has happened when flared badly. Most often its just out of the sore, I use toilet paper daily do keep the liquidy mucus duschage contained to prevent a rash from the dampness. I am going to try your remedies for acute cases. I have never been able to have a bowl movement very easily without a softener so this all makes sense. Any other input?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Its not a herpes for sure. Herpes does not give such pain. Blood in stool does not need to be present all the time. I`m pretty sure you have fistula. Mucus is caused by constipation. So you should make everything to avoid constipation (increase fiber rich products, mineral water intake, start probiotic supplementation). Regards.

Follow-up: Having a sore near anus with mucus and blood discharge. Is this fistula? 33 minutes later
Thank you so much, that puts my mind at ease,

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon. Regards.