Having a semi-clear bump/lump on neck. Having burning sensation. Advice?

Dec 2013

Hi have a semi-clear bump/lump right in the middle of my neck. Is this worrysome? It is an area that tends to burn easily when I forget sunscreen. I've attached a photo, it might be hard to see due to the lighting.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

As per your query you have a semi-clear bump/lump right in the middle of your neck. You have not described in your query since how long the bump is present and any associated symptom of itching ,burning or any type of pain over the same.

Even then closely and thoroughly looking at the picture I can make out a semicircular area in the mid-line. It appears to be simple cystic lesion over the affected area. There can be multiple possibilities of the cystic lesion but most commonly it can be formed due to blockage of the pore of the oil glands. Our skin has multiple oil glands in it which continuously secretes oil. If these oil glands are blocked then the secretion are collected at the local site which forms a small cystic lesion.

Generally there is no itching, burning or pain over this area or very less often some irritation can be present.

This type of problem is very commonly present in general population. So need not to be worried about the same. It is totally benign and simple problem. At the maximum it can slightly grow in size to pea size. It can be very easily removed by "electrocautery" or "radio-frequency" ablation in just 2 minutes. So you rest assured regarding any other possibilities.

As you mentioned this area is more prone for sun burns, so during the time of mild to moderate irritation you may touch this area frequently. Do not try to pinch, pop or squeeze or even touch this area unnecessarily as it may lead to increase in size. Have sun protection also more importantly by clothes rather then sunscreens.

Rest nothing is needed to be done from your side. there are no medications or creams which helps in reducing the area. Many times we have seen that these things subsides by their own.

Despite above suggestions if you are really worried then you can XXXXXXX a dermatologist who can relieve your tension in just 2 minutes!!

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good glowing skin"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)