Having a running nose and throat infection. not taken medication. Suggest?

I am having a running nose for couple of days and throat infection. Have not taken any tablets. Please help me to get better.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can take an anti-allergic tablet

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Virus is mostly the cause of running nose and sore throat. I usually prescribe the following to my patients with similar complaints:

- Tab cetrizine 1 tablet before sleeping for two consecutive night. It is an anti-allergic and helps in controlling the excessive secretions.
- Tab crocin 500 mg 4 times a day or as required. This tablet is to be taken only if you have fever or discomfort

Antibiotics are not usually needed to control cold or runny nose.

Mostly the above two tablets help controlling the infection and its symptoms.

Dr Vaishalee