Having a really sharp pain on left chest area with swelling. What could be the reason?

I have been having a really sharp pain on left side, feels around the heart area and my fingers ache, the finger next to my small finger feel swollen, in fact my left hand feels swollen, the pain in the heart area has been very sharp today and is getting worse. My thumb feels like it is swelling as well. My shoulder blade also has sharp pains
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 55 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Any pain at this age should be investigated as HEART PAIN – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE.
You need an EKG and blood work up (Cardiac marker)
In suspected heart attack, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.
Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

In the setting of sarcoid, chest and cervical spine should also be investigated.
You may need X-rays of Chest and Spine for favour of further assessment and assistance.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck