Ask a Dentist   »  

Having a problem of grinding teeth and have an overbite. What could be done?

Feb 2013

I grind my teeth during the day and also sometimes at night. I have an overbite.

About a year ago my teeth began feeling loose and sometimes they hurt. they have not gotten more lose in the past year and when it hurts it doesnt hurt more than before. It is not a big pain either but just an uncomfortable feeling.

I have started flossing and began using sensodine (repair) four days ago and also started using a flouride rinse. This has helped a little with the pain
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Grinding teeth is usually common during nights in some people and it is called bruxism.

Grinding teeth in day time is uncommon and it is suggestive of extreme bruxism.

Bruxism is related to daytime anxiety, stress and needs psychiatric evaluation and intervention.

Grinding also leads to overbite. Over bite may be due to your jaw built and structure.

Because of grinding, the teeth get attrition leading to pain and sensitivity of teeth.

At the same time grinding will cause damage to underlying bone, ligaments, and soft tissue causing loosening of teeth to a different degree varying from mild to severe.

The pain and sensitivity of teeth are helped by using sensodine and using fluoride rinses.

My advise is :

To get treated for grinding teeth as it is the main reason for all your symptoms.

If you are stressed, having anxiety, go for relieving techniques with the help of a psychiatrist.

If the grinding is severe, habit correction with habit breaking appliances may be required.

Overbite, if it is due to grinding will correct with the measures taken to treat bruxism.

But if the overbite is due to jaw structure and alignment, it requires orthodontic correction.

Therefore I advise you to consult the dental surgeon for the examination of oral cavity to assess the teeth attrition, sensitivity, degree of overbite, and advise you a proper management plan.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Having a problem of grinding teeth and have an overbite. What could be done? 5 minutes later
Thank you for taking the time respond. I will make an appointment as soon as I am able to.

I have been seeing a therapist about my anxiety and mentioned my teeth grinding but he did not take it too seriously. I will go ahead and make an appointment with a dentist. Thank you,

Thank you for getting back.

Hope you will get rid of all these problems soon.

If you don't have any clarification you can close the session and I request you to kindly rate and review my answer.