Having a patch on scalp covered with short hair. All around the scalp in bald. Patch looks like a flap. Suggest treatment?

I came home from the hospital with a 2X3 patch of my scalp covered with short hair and the scalp all around it is bald but the rest of my hair is longer and normal in every way. this patch looks like it is a flap that will fall off eventually.
It doesn't hurt. What could it be,?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, ask doctor to assess to alopecia areata.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. It is with a high probability alopecia areata. It is a transient baldness that may happen in many people. People who have other medical problems like diabetes, are more likely to have this problem. It can also be caused by stress. As your doctor about it more and how to treat it. I wish you a good health.