Having a mild fever. Feeling pressure in thigh and arms. Took ibuprofen. Any advice?

I have been having a mild fever for three days now -- (suspect my husband and I picked up a cold / flu at a local eatery). Yesterday morning, I began to feel a bit of pressure on my lower thighs, and a bit of a difficulty walking. It almost feels as though there is a swelling underneath the skin. Last night, the pressure spread to my arms and I see the ends of the superficial blood capillaries showing prominently under my skin. Otherwise, I am feeling alright. The fever is well under control with Ibuprofen. I should also note that my husband also had this spell, but the numbness did not spread to the arms --- the reason for my inquiry. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 19 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Acute febrile illness relieved with ibuprofen points towards viral fever as you mentioned in summary.I do appreciate the way you have described about your illness.

The pressure that you are feeling in lower limb associated with numbness now spreading to upper limb is really worrying.I would like to suggest you to observe for weakness.

In case if weakness worsens in form of difficulty in walking and inability to lift arm above shoulder indicates acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculopathy(AIDP).

so please visit your treating physician or neurologist who can examine you clinically and advise regarding further management.If in case he/she can advise you EMG AND NCS for final diagnosis.

If there is no progression in weakness then at least visit your physician for clinical examination to relieve your anxiety.

Hope this helps you , feel free to ask further queries if any.