Having a lumpectomy, smoker but cannot admit. What else can be done?

I am having a lumpectomy Tuesday morning and I am a smoker. I didn't admit I am a smoker to my doctor because I pay for my own health insurance and don't want the rates to go up. Will I be ok if I stop smoking now? This gives me 48 hours of no smoking. Also, if I tell the anesthesiologist I smoke will this remain confidential? I am a very healthy 48 year old woman. My blood pressure is 98/76 and I weight 135lbs at 5'3". Thank you so much :)
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take nicotine replacement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. It would be ok for you to continue not smoking. You can use nicotine patches for the first 4 to 8 weeks or nicotine gums. They can help you not to experience the physical symptoms related to nicotine drop in your blood.
If you tell your doctor that you smoke, that will be mentioned in your medical records. However, it is important for him to know since the secretions in your lung may endanger your situation during and after the operation. I wish you a good health. Let me know if you have any question.