Having a lump on the crease in-between leg and groin. Lump getting bigger and smaller. Any suggestions?

my husband has a lump on the crease inbetween his leg and groin. It is kind of purplish, he is prone to boils and sits alot it is extremly hot where he is. He says it decreases in size but then will get bigger any suggestions
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
I would be pleased to answer your question.

He probably has a Furuncle which is an infection of multiple hair follices. The first step into figuring out how to prevent this is to get his blood sugar level done (both fasting and after a meal). Diabetes is a common cause of Recurrent Furunculosis

If the sugar level is high then controlling it will prevent new lesions. Besides this here is what I recommend:

1. Mupirocin ointment twice a day for 5-7 days whenever the bumps come. If there is no improvement within 3 days of this then you will require a 5 days course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day.

2. Dial Antibacterial liquid soap for bathing. Continue this even when asymptomatic.

3. Mupirocin cream twice a day in the inside skin of the nose for 14 days. This may seem strange since you have no symptoms there but this is the commonest site of carriage of the bacteria that causes this condition (staph). Infection keeps recurring from here through carriage by the fingers to other parts of the body.

NOTE: Dicloxacilllin and mupirocin will require a prescription so I would recommend discussing my recommendations with your GP/family physician. Bacitracin is an OTC alternative to Mupirocin cream.

It would be also important to rule out LYMPH NODE swellings that have burst over on to the skin

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Thanks and take care