Having a lump moving around left clavicle area and swollen. Lymph nodes are swollen. Had a flu shot in left arm. Suggest cure for lump?

Hi! I am a 54 year old woman and I have a lump that moves around on my left clavical area with some swelling. Had the flu shot 5 days ago and thats when I noticed it. I know flu shots can cause lympnodes to swell, but in the left clavical area? I did have the shot in my left arm.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get a primary care doctor examine you first

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I understand it can be really disturbing. It is clear that if you noticed that lump only after the shot, it could be in relation to the flu vaccine.

However, it is also difficult to explain why a short on the right produced a lump to the left. This is a very rare condition, but can happen.

It is also possible that this lump might have existed and was coincidentally just discovered this time around. It is imperative in my opinion and practice (experience), to get a complete clinical examination. Lumps or lymph nodes above the clavicule usually deserve a keen attention. This is so because they might be an indication of tumors of the chest or the abdominal region.

Your doctor has to do a complete review (physical examination) on order to exclude a serious condition, before attributing this lump to a flu.

This lump could as well have not nothing to do with a flu or a tumor. Accidentally discovered lumps as such could also be lipomas, that are generally very none harmful. Your doctor after a physical examination would be able to bring out this information, Depending on the case, a chest X XXXXXXX an ultrasound , blood tests and a biopsy of the lump, in case its a lymph node could be done to know exactly what is going on.

For now, first consult your primary care physician. I do no think you need to worry. It should be rare that this should be that serious from what you describe. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have specific concerns. I shall be honored to make my contributions for your well being. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD