Having a lump in buttock, hurts when pressed. Is it sign of cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
sir, I am having a lump(about 3 cm diameter) in my buttock (right) since about 15 years . It is not creating much problem but I am very much worried about it now that can it be cancer ? It hurts a little when it is pressed . I am quite healthy otherwise and my weight and health is normal. Can cancer be there for such a long period ? Please help me sir. I am a male of 32.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 18 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

It sounds you are under stress from the exstance of the swelling
Each and every swelling is not malignant

Considering the fact that it is existing for 15 years and that the diameter has not changed

Plus the history that it normally is painless is suggestive of a benign swelling

From history it appears to be a lipoma and / or a fibroma

To rule out go for a soft tissue ultrasound
Reassure yourself

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Follow-up: Having a lump in buttock, hurts when pressed. Is it sign of cancer? 21 minutes later
thank U sir. Sir can it so happen that the diameter may be changed and I unable to observe it.(most probably it didn't change its size or if it changed then the rate is very slow). If it changes the size then is there any chance that it may be malignant ? I have uploaded the photo. Please observe it sir it is at the right buttock. Please suggest me sir.. Is it necessary to remove and treat it urgently or it is any harmless thing ? Please help me sir. Thank U.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 minutes later
Hi

I have seen the images it appears to be a lipoma yet we can not stamp it until we clinically examine the patient

The chances of missing it grow are remote

It appears benign but get it investigated and if causing anxiety get it remove

Hope this helps
And clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Having a lump in buttock, hurts when pressed. Is it sign of cancer? 6 minutes later
thank U sir. sorry sir I could not understand your statement - "The chances of missing it grow are remote". Please be kind enough to explain it sir. Sir, what type of investigation will make it clear and is it urgent to do ? Sir, is there any chance that cancer can be there with me since 15 years ? If it is benign then is there any chance that it will be converted into cancer in future ?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 minutes later
Hi

It means the chances that it grows but you miss it are unlikely

Ultrasound is reliable

Urgency deends on your stress levels

Converting to malignancy depends on the final diagnosis

Chances are negligible that cancer remains with you for fifteen years

Hope this answers your queries

Follow-up: Having a lump in buttock, hurts when pressed. Is it sign of cancer? 45 minutes later
sir, when I sit on that buttock(lump) for a long time then the lump get reduced by its volume for a short period of time and after some time it returns to its original size. Can it be any thing wrong ? Sir, what are the chances of cancer in this case or on this area ? (any previous history) ?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 20 minutes later
Hi

The swlling is reducing on pressure so nothing wrong as the buttock has lot of room for swelliings below the skin

Unless a clinical impression is arrived at incidence of cancer cannot be justified

Hope clear
Do write back if you have more doubts