Having a lump in buttock, hurts when pressed. Can it be cancer?

sir, I am having a lump(about 3 cm diameter) in my buttock (right) since about 15 years . It is not creating much problem but I am very much worried about it now that can it be cancer ? It hurts a little when it is pressed . I am quite healthy otherwise and my weight and health is normal. Can cancer be there for such a long period ? Please help me sir. I am a male of 32.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 39 minutes later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX
There is few differential diagnosis of lump in buttock region like abscess, pilonidal cyst, scar tissue due to previous injury, lipoma, sebaceous cyst, hematoma, malignancy (cancer).
Abscess will present with pain, fever, hot to touch at the site, may burst with pus drainage except for tubercular abscess, which are cold to touch. pilonidal sinus is lump with draining hair in it. Sebaceous cyst is usually soft to touch with a black dot at the centre and when burst releases cheese like material. Lipoma is soft painless swelling. Hematoma or collection of blood usually follows trauma at the site.

Now coming to your case, since it is painless, is present for 17 years without any increase in size and there is no history of weight loss, it seems to be benign (non-cancerous) soft tissue swelling. It is less likely to be abscess because it can't persist for such a longer time without symptoms.

I wish if you have told about the consistency of the swelling (soft or hard), any history of trauma before its appearance, any history of discharge from it etc.

I will advise you to go for an ultrasound of the swelling and guided Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC). The histopathological examination of the FNAC slide will depict the exact nature of the lesion and will guide further treatment.
Alternatively, you may XXXXXXX a surgeon and get it excised (removed). It’s a simple local operation theatre procedure to be done in local anesthesia. Get the excised tissue examined by a pathologist to know the nature of the lesion, which will guide the further treatment.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Having a lump in buttock, hurts when pressed. Can it be cancer? 6 hours later
thank U sir. Sir it is there for about 15 years (not for 17 years). As far as I remember there is no history of trauma and also there is no history of discharge. Although some times in between this 15 years period I lost weight as well as gained (just like a normal man whose weight is affected by other factors).Can a cancer affected person gain weight without cancer treatment ? Now my hunger is normal. I am afraid of cancer. Sir, can cancer be present for such a long period ? Is it very necessary to treat it immediately ?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 23 minutes later
Thanks for follow up,

There are some cancers in which weight gain is possible but definitely not in cancers involving buttocks. Usually otherwise the weight loss is persistent. And an active cancer remaining idle (not increasing in size) for 15 years, is also unusual.

I am pretty sure that you don't have cancer and in the case of non-cancerous lesions, if they are not affecting day to day life, can be treated anytime according to patient's convenience. So it's not urgent.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Having a lump in buttock, hurts when pressed. Can it be cancer? 15 hours later
thank u sir. it can also happen that it may increased in size but I could not observed. But it is obvious that if it is increased then it's rate is very slow. Can it still be cancer ? If it is not cancer then is it having the ability to be cancer in future ? Please help me sir. I am sorry if I disturbed U. If i go for ultrasound then what should I tell to the person who does the ultrasound ? (which portion to be examined and for what according to the prescription ?). If it is cancerous then what will be the result of ultrasound and if not cancer then what will be the report ? thank u sir.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 13 minutes later
Thanks for follow up,
A wart/ lump or mole can be a cancer in future. It is not predictable, but if its size starts increasing over a period of months, always cancer should be ruled out.
There are slow growing tumors but to persist and grow for 15 years is less likely.

Ultrasound helps in differentiating solid and cystic (Fluid containing) lesion. Helps in defining the texture of the lesion. Ideally, one should go for MRI but that is costly.
If you think and find that it is relatively hard lump, you can directly go for FNAC available at any good pathologist. It costs around 300-400 rupees. The report will guide further treatment.

For ultrasound, ask your doctor to do ultrasound of gluteal lump with guided FNAC/Biopsy. Similarly you can ask pathologist to do ''FNAC gluteal lump''.

Don't be scared...Again I am saying it is less likely to be cancer....

Best wishes