Having a histamine reaction after dinner. Swelling and painful in tongue. Had prednisone. Suggest a solution?

I am having a histamine reaction to something I ate at dinner. My tongue is swelling and painful. This has happen 3-4 times in the last six months. It resolves in about twelve hours. It has not effected my swallowing. I took two benatryl at 10:00 pm. What else can I take. I have a bottle of 20mg prednisone that I have used in the past for a lumbar disc bulge. I happen to be a chiropractor. I am not that worried about tonight. I think it might be the sulfities in the white wine. I am sixty-five years old and take no medications and I have no health problems except this recent allergy and the occasional back problem. My tongue will have a very thick white coat almost like glue my tomorrow morning. Thank you
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Hypersensitivity reaction are managed with antihistamines and steroids. I usually manage with antihistamines alone if symptoms are not systemic. I don't think you need to use prednisolone if the symptoms remain localised.

Besides the antihistamines, I also suggest you use vitamin supplements. Irritant effects of wine can cause surface damage and vitamin supplements are helpful in such cases. You can also layer the affected areas with topical glycerine solution. It can soothen as well as heal the affected areas too.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.