Having a flap grown under tongue and is painful. Thin and enlarged. What can be the cause?

Dec 2012

I have a flap that has grown in the last few days under my tongue and is very painful. Never had it before, but based upon google it looks like the left papillae -- to the left of the middle section of the tongue. It is thin but enlarged, like an extra flap a skin that has grown. What could have caused this?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

It seems that one of your papillae is infected with a kind of germs and it could be of any origin. Since you already have herpes infection, that might be the likely cause of your problem. If it is painful and swollen and they way i look at it, it is likely an infection. You will need your primary care doctor or derematologist to look at it. Probably provide you with an appropriate medication.

Hope this helps
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Having a flap grown under tongue and is painful. Thin and enlarged. What can be the cause? 1 minute later
Well, if I am already taking Valtrex and using medicated mouthwash, can this clear up on its own? Or will it have to be surgically removed? I kind of figured it was some kind of germ -- what are the types you routinely see that create a flap of this sort and what are the potential treatments?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 10 minutes later

If you are already on antiviral then just continue, if it is in effect a virus, then that will be resolve. The most frequent germs encountered at bacteria (common at are staph/strep), fungi, viral such as herpes etc. After taking a closer look and maybe running some blood tests, your doctor might be able to decide with exactitude what the cause is.
It is not recommended to surgically remove such an acute lump without going through medical therapy for a while.

Hope this helps further