Having a fever of 101.7 and taken biaxin. Prescribed with zpak. Is it ok to take azithromycin?

Saturday night I developed a fever of 101.7. I took 1 of my wife's 500mg biaxin. I took another Sunday morning about 8am. I went to the Dr today but forgot to tell her about the biaxin. She prescribed a zpak. Its been almost 30 hours since the last biaxin. Is it ok to take the azithromycin
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can safetly use the azithromycin

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Biaxin is the trade name of clarithromycin. At a dose of 500mg, the half life is about 5-7 hours.
The half life of a medication is the time it takes for the amount of medication in the system to decrease by half.

It is thought that it takes 3 to 4 half lives for a medication to completely leave the body.
At 5- 7 hours per half life, this would mean 20 to 28 hours needed for it to be eliminated.

Since you took it on sunday morning, it would mostly be eliminated by now.

This means that there would be no interaction with the azithromycin.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions