Having a feeling like waves are going sideways through head. What does it indicate?

I have this funny feeling in my head where it feels like waves or air going sideways through my head. Lasts for about 5 seconds, goes away & comes back 15-20 m minutes later. not really pain, just odd sensation.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

This is an excellent question. There are multiple possible factors which might be contributing to the symptoms you are experiencing. It appears that you are relatively healthy and I do not see any medications listed. Sometimes medications can cause side effects, which is why I mention this.

Sometimes allergies can cause fluctuation in fluid levels inside the ears. This can contribute to strange sensations similar to that which you described.

I really think this is something you should see your doctor for in order to obtain a good comprehensive physical examination. Fluctuation in blood pressure as well as limitation of blood flow to the small areas of the brain can also contribute to some of these symptoms. I don't want to alarm you but I do want you to know that a conservative approach with a full examination in consultation is most beneficial.

If these sensations continue or worsen over the next 48 hours. I think you should report your local emergency room or urgent care center for immediate evaluation.

Thank you, again for sending your question. Please let us know if you have any additional followup concerns.

Dr. Robert