Having a dry piece of skin on nose. Skin was white and mushy like dead skin. No pain. Medication?

I have a dry piece of skin on my nose-very small- that will not go away. I noticed it about two months ago and simply flaked it off, no big deal. A day or so later it formed a scab. The scab then came off a few days later and I thought that was the end of it, however, the dry flakey skin returned and the process was repeated. About three weeks ago when I got out of the shower I noticed the skin was white and very mushy like dead skin saturated with water. At that point I gently wiped the skin away and again, it looked healed and I thought I was done with it. The next day it still looked OK. As the day went on though, again, a small scab formed. This time I left it alone. The scab fell off after a few days and since then I have not touched it. For the last three weeks I've left it alone. When I get out of the shower, every night, the skin always has that white mushy consitancy -- I let it dry and it gets hard and flakey again -- it is also slighty raised from the surrounding skin. There is also a very tiny scab right in the middle. It does not seem to be healing and I don't want to pick at it and make it worse. There is no pain associated with whatever it is.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later

You are having mild scaly lesion on the nose since two months...right?

I would like to ask few questions.

Do you have any other XXXXXXX disease.. Like DM, hypertension, heart disease or some other..?

Do you take any medicine?

Do you have any past history of any disease?

Do you have family history of any disease?

Do you get itching on the lesion which you have on the nose?

Do you get pain there?

Is there lesion elsewhere?

Do you take any medicine for the skin lesion?

What do you work?

Are you exposed to sun excessively?

And any other things you want to say...

And lastly , I would like to have photograph of the skin lesion from different angles.

Please post the photos.

So, that I can come to some conclusion and can help you.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Having a dry piece of skin on nose. Skin was white and mushy like dead skin. No pain. Medication? 20 hours later
I do not have any XXXXXXX diseases.
I do not take any medication.
I do not have any past history of disease.
There is no itching on the lesion.
There is no pain associated with the lesion.
I have no other lesion elsewhere.
I do not take medication for the lesion.
I am a school teacher.
I am not exposed to the sun excessively at this time--when I was younger I was in the sun a lot and did experience sun burn every summer for several years.

I will send XXXXXXX pics as an attachment to a return email to you.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You probably have rosacea with complication .. rhinophyma.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

After seeing pictures and going through the history, it seems that you are having rosacea with complication.. rhinophyma.There are bumps on nose with erythema and dryness.There is telangiectesia.

Local metronidazole or azelaic acid cream with oral antibiotics like minocycline may be used. I think, you may be improved. Avoid stress, alcohol, spicy food ,smoking and exposure to wind and sun,which are triggering factors.Dermabrasion,electrosurgery or Laser may be helpful to improve the look of nose...rhinophyma... But , all this you should do under supervision of dermatologist.

I hope you got my answer, still ,if you have any query, you may ask.
Thanks and have early recovery.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD