Having a course of post exposure rabies vaccines. Getting muscle and joint pain. Side effect?

I am having a course of post exposure rabies vaccines. After the 2nd shot i woke up with slight muscle and joint pains in my chest muscles and shoulder joint area, i also felst a small hard lump right on top of my collar bone, it is very mobile, i can move it up, dow and sideways, is this a lymph node? And are these side effects fo the rabies shots? I don't know what "brand" of rabies vaccines were used, all i know is it was intradermal shots
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later

Rabies vaccination can rarely cause muscle pain and joint pain, but these are not serious side effects. You can take over the counter painkillers or NSAIDs like Motrin or Acetaminophen to get some relief.

It can frequently cause enlarged lymph nodes, which are usually due to reactive lymphadenopathy, and it usually subsides over a period of week to month.

You should not stop getting course of rabies vaccination.

Hope I have answers your queries. If you have any further question, I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sunil
Follow-up: Having a course of post exposure rabies vaccines. Getting muscle and joint pain. Side effect? 3 hours later
Thank you doctor for answering. You put my mind at ease. I was scared of the lymph node being something serious, even though it's small and very mobile and probably caused by the rabies shot. Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Sunil 5 hours later

Thank you for your feed back.

You need not worry about these lymphnodes. They will disappear after a time. Rabies virus does not present with simple lymphnodes.

Hope your are satisfied now.

Please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take Care!