Having a cortersone injection in hip area. Can I travel?

having a cortersone injection in hip area have to travel over 100klms to have done please give me some idea as to what this involves as to travel home and will Ineed a driver
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From your query, I understand that you wish to know the use and effect of the steroid (cortisone) injection being given to your hip region, is that right?

Well, if that's the case let me explain this to you.

Individuals diagnosed with arthritis can experience pain in regions of the back, legs, hip or buttock. In such cases doctor's can prescribe steroid injections to alleviate the pain. These injections have two advantages: first of course to reduce the pain and second to find and diagnose the source of pain.

These injections are administered directly into the joint (in your case the hip joint). Their advantages are:
1. Pain relief: It causes a mild numbing sensation which helps get rid of the pain sensation almost immediately, along with this the steroid also reduces inflammation, which is the main cause of the pain. This aids by providing long term pain relief

2. Diagnostic function: Once the pain relief medication is administered the doctor observes the patient for complete or partial pain relief. If complete pain relief is achieved this pin-points the particular joint as the source of pain; wheres in partial pain relief the doctor can confirm that this particular joint is not the source of pain

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.