Having a cold, stabbing abdominal pains near liver. on acetaminophen, dextramethorphan. drank coors light. Causes of extreme pain ?

Hi, I'm male, 21 195 pds 6'0 and generally healthy. I have a cold and I took a cold medicine - 650 mg acetaminophen, 20mg dextramethorphan, 400mg guaifenesin, and 10 mg phenylephrine. I took that about 6 hours ago. About 1 hour ago I drank 1 12 oz can of Coors Light. Now I am feeling occasional, moderately uncomfortable stabbing pains in the middle of my abdomen on my right side, where my liver is. Should I get medical help?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

It is very likely that you have a moderate case of gastritis which is caused by excessive acid secretion and irritation of the lining of the stomach.

This causes a variety of symptoms including pain in the abdomen, nausea and vomiting. For you I recommend you go to the pharmacy to obtain omeprazole 20 mg tablets and an antacid like tums. You should take one tab with breakfast and one with dinner for 7 days. You can take tums one tablet after every one hour until the pain abdomen subsides. You can take a maximum of five tablets of tums in this way. Keep yourself well hydrated. After 7 days you should take one with breakfast only for 21 more days. This should promote healing and resolution of your symptoms.
In case your symptoms do not subside I encourage you to consult your primary physician for proper examination and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.